October 16 is an important day in offices across America. That’s the day we celebrate the men and women who cut the paychecks.
That’s right. October 16 is Boss’s Day, the perfect day to show your appreciation – or just do a little brown-nosing – by sending gourmet brownies or cookie gifts to the guy or gal in the big office down the hall.
While you consider how you’ll recognize Boss’s Day, here are five of our favorite business quotes from one our favorite bosses, Michael Scott of the sitcom The Office:
- On leadership styles: “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.”
- On office equality: “You may look around and see two groups here: white collar, blue collar. But I don’t see it that way. And do you know why not? Because I’m collar-blind.”
- On public speaking: “Sometimes I’ll start a sentence and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
- On office humor: “I love inside jokes. I’d love to be a part of one someday.”
- On loyalty: “I was shocked when he told me he was transferring to Samford. It’s like with firemen, you don’t leave your brothers behind. Even if you find out that there’s a better fire in Connecticut.”